Perfect Gak for Hours of Fun
Gak-every kid loves it, and every mom searches for the perfect recipe for a fun afternoon craft. After trying many different variations, I have found the perfect Gak recipe with just the right amount of stretch and none of the sliminess. We have made this recipe many times and have never had a failed batch.
- Large metal bowl. I have tried both metal and plastic, and have had much better success with the metal bowl. It stirs better and balls up best with the metal bowl.
- Glass measuring cup
- Wooden spoon
- 1/2 tsp. Borax-find it in your local grocery store by the laundry detergent.
- 1/2 cup Warm water divided in half. Doesn’t need to be burning hot, but just pretty warm to the touch. I just use tap water and make sure it’s pretty warm almost hot but not boiling.
- 4 oz white glue (entire small bottle)
- Food coloring any kind
- Squeeze entire 4oz glue container into metal bowl.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the warm water into metal bowl with the glue and stir together well.
- Add food coloring and stir well. Be aware if you add a lot of a dark color it may stain your kiddos hands as they play with the gak, which also means it could stain clothes, carpet etc. So remember a little goes a long way, and if you are concerned about staining use only a few drop of a light color.
- In a glass cup pour remaining 1/4 cup warm/hot water and add 1/2 tsp borax. Stir until it is completely dissolved and the water is clear. This is an important step! Don’t rush it.
- Pour borax mixture into the glue bowl and stir.
- And stir.
- And stir. You are going to think you have ruined it and that it didn’t work out. Keep stirring, knead the mixture with your hands to mix completely and keep playing with it until it feels just right.
Gak will stay soft and fun for a long time if you keep in an airtight container. Works best in a tupperware instead of a baggie. Enjoy!